Frozen Flower Ice Cubes
Ice Cube (noun)
a small block of ice made in a freezer, esp. for adding to drinks.
Ice |īs| noun
frozen water, a brittle, transparent crystalline solid.
• a frozen mixture of fruit juice or flavored water and sugar.
Making Blossom Ice Cubes:
- Gently rinse your pesticide-free flower blossoms.
- Boil water for 2 minutes for all the air trapped in the water to escape. Remove from heat and let the water cool until room temperature. NOTE: This will ensure that the ice cubes are crystal clear.
- Place each blossom at the base of each individual compartment within an ice tray.
- Fill each compartment half full with the cooled boiled water and freeze.
- After the water is frozen solid, fill each ice cube compartment the rest of the way to the top with the remaining boiled water.
- Freeze until ready to use.
Tip for Making Blossom Ice Cubes
- Getting ice trays in certain shapes will also help.
- If you are using ice cubes in wine, make them with the wine you will be drinking. This will prevent dilution of the wine as the ice cube melts. Freeze with a strawberry, a raspberry or a mandarin slice for a delightful, uplifting taste.
- Blossoms, flowers and leaves that are suitable include: nasturtiums, violets, rose petals, pansies, lavender, basil, chive/leek/onion/garlic blossoms, borage flowers, most flowers from edible herbs (e.g. basil, oregano, thyme).
- You can also freeze a whole punch bowl shape with a variety of blossoms. Don't use the glass punchbowl or it will expand and burst in the freezer. Instead, pull out a ring-shaped cake tin and fill it with flowers and water. Follow the same procedure as above (filling halfway, then freezing), but you can add additional blossoms to the second layer so that the blossoms are throughout the large ice cube.
- If fresh flowers are unavailable, a silk flower ring (one used for pillar candles) also makes a beautiful addition to a wedding or shower punch. Just make sure that you carefully wash the flower ring and place it in a ring-shaped cake pan as above. It can be used over and over.
- Always have some ice cubes without blossoms in them for guests who might be squeamish for one reason or another.